Friday, March 6, 2009

Cali and Krishna

Hey Everyone!
This is a blog postcard. I'm using a computer at the Fair Oaks Library in Carmichael, California. I'm staying at a meditation center for two weeks, that was all I knew about it before I got there and discovered that it's community more like my own home than I would have imagined, you know, a house with a big family, random people wandering through all the time, people renting rooms, someone always in the kitchen...The surprise? This is a community that practices Bakti Yoga, their lord is Krishna and the main mode of communicating with him is chanting. Wow, there's so much more, but those are the fundamentals, the super basics. It's been fascinating.
So my new buddy Hillary, whose from Australia, set out on borrowed bikes to find the library and use the internet, pretty simple right? It was almost as bad as Israel! Everyone pointed us in different directions, the streets are looooooooong and lined with dentists offices, law firms, fabric stores, 'Carmichael Neck and Back', and halfway down Sunrise Ave (wich intersects with Sunset Blvd) the chain on Hillary's bike broke. It didn't fall off, it broke. So we made it 40 minutes later, and now we're typing fast, sharing a computer, because you can't get a library card without a parent if you're under 18...? We have to get back to the center soon for dinner and chanting! More when I can, Love From the WEST COAST!
leeza

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My GAWD you are a spectacle. How is all of this even happening????? I love you my little bundle of curls. I just want to grab you by the ears and give you a big smooch. We are in such different places right now - there was a 'possible' shooting at the university today [possible as in, EVERYONE heard it, but the police couldn't find the itty bitty shell casings]. I've never heard so many people screaming bloody murder before, nor had a legit building lockdown. Do you remember those grade-school drills where everyone hides from door/window entrance? It was weird how everyone just immediately did that and some boys pushed tables to barricade the door. It was so bizarre because when the police came into the building to tell us it was okay to leave, they made it seem like it was just a false alarm, but when I got outside people were running away and looking scared as though something was clearly going on. There were helicopters and cops and cop cars and news vans and crowds of people. It freaked me out because the police made it seem like everything was fine, so I was confused when my friend called me while I was walking down the stairs to tell me to get out of there as fast as I can. Nobody was shot, though. The cops said people probably just heard a car backfiring...but nobody around owned up to their car backfiring. And what about the screaming? Oh well, life goes on. I hope I haven't exceeded some sort of character limit or something. I think I'll email this to you, too. <3 !

Unknown said...

Also another thing, how did you get involved with this Center?

Also, I think you'll maybe like Austin - their motto is 'Keep Austin Weird'

Also, who is Sydney? I love that you seem to be meeting gems wherever you go.

Also, come to Chicago

Also, take me back with you to Boston, I'm extremely portable.

Unknown said...

California, eh?? You have been busy... that's great that your staying at the center, I've been stumbling my way through a book by A.C Bhaktivednta Swami Prabhupáda (i shamelessly had to spell check that...) twas recommended by Georgey-boy Harrison...

Stay Golden Pony-girl...

Unknown said...

(David)=]